|Thai Coconut Chicken with Basil & Shiitake Mushrooms|
This easy Thai-inspired recipe has quickly become one of our favorite dinners - somehow the coconut milk, basil, shiitake mushrooms, soy sauce and rice vinegar combine to make this downright addicting ;-).
Ingredients (Serves 3):
- 1.25 lbs chicken thighs or breasts, deboned, skinned, and cut into large cubes
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 heaping cups sliced (fresh) shiitake mushrooms (cannot substitute regular mushrooms, MUST use shiitake)
- ½ cup chopped green onions (also known as spring onions or scallions)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1 Tb pasted garlic (if using fresh, chopped garlic, use less - 2 tsp)
- Salt to taste (just a little)
- 3 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk (Taste of Thai, Thai Kitchen or 365 Organic are the best brands I've tried; we tried an off brand once and it was scary!!)
- 1.5 Tbs rice vinegar (cannot substitute regular vinegar, MUST use rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1.5 cups fresh chopped basil
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
|All the colorful chopped goodies!|
1. In a bowl, mix together the coconut milk, soy sauce, rice vinegar and crushed red pepper.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and add the red onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté (and keep stirring) until the onion is beginning to soften.
3. Add the chicken and sprinkle very lightly with salt (remember you are adding soy sauce – not too much salt!!). Saute the chicken on both sides until beginning to lose pinkness.
4. Toss in the shiitake mushrooms, stir well and let simmer for a minute.
5. Pour in the coconut milk mixture and stir well.
6. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
7. Add the green onions and basil; stir, and cook another 3 minutes. When it’s done it will look like this:
Adapted from this recipe on Allrecipes.com:http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thai-Chicken-with-Basil-Stir-Fry/Detail.aspx